APRICOT FLANGIPANE + ALMOND CUSTARD
Get baking before valentines with this apricot, almond frangipane and almond milk custard dessert from the Alex Head, entrepreneur and founder of South London favourite café Social Pantry.
250g unsalted butter or coconut oil or avocado spread for a DF option
175g icing sugar, sieved
400g plain flour or almond flour for a GF option
50g ground almonds
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
8 apricot halves
500g of ground almonds
500g of unsalted butter or coconut oil or avocado spread for a DF option
500g of coconut nectar
600ml almond milk
6 egg yolks
70g coconut nectar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place the butter, oil or spread in a bowl and beat until light and creamy.
- Gradually add the sieved icing sugar and mix until well combined.
- Add the ground almonds, salt and vanilla extract and again beat until smooth, slowly add the flour.
- Wrap the pastry in cling film, lightly flatten with your hands and place in the fridge to rest for 2 hours before using.
- Roll out into desired tart case and blind bake at 150 C for 45 minutes.
- Next, make the frangipane. Cream together the butter, oil or spread and coconut nectar and add the eggs one at a time. Beat in the almonds, stir well to combine and set aside in the fridge to rest.
- Smooth into cooked case and place 8 apricot halves on top.
- Bake at 150C for 20 – 30mins.
- Whilst cooking, make the custard. Beat the egg yolks and coconut nectar together in a bowl until creamy. Add the almond milk and vanilla extract to a pan over a medium heat and bring to the boil.
- Place the bowl with the egg yolk mixture over another pan with a small amount of simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
- Slowly pour the hot vanilla milk over the egg yolks, whisking continuously until smooth and thickened.
- Remove the tart from the oven and serve immediately.
Stock up on our almond milk here and save 10% off.
For more recipes from Alex, click here.